South Walker Creek CHPP
- A 3/2 AH Warman slurry pump ran at a constant 2950 rpm (regardless of process requirements) with a pressure-sustaining valve diverting excess water back to a water tank.
- Motor load was consistently above 31kW. This setup did not allow for adjustable speed; the valve wasted energy by pinching off excess water, but still strained the motor since it was running at a constant load.
- A MagnaDrive Adjustable Speed Drive (ASD) was installed at South Walker Creek CHPP on October 4th 2007.
- The intent was to remove the sustaining valve and control the pump output with only the ASD
- The valve was removed and the pump is now controlled by the ASD
- The pumping system now consumes 350 kWh less per day vs. the valve-based control.
|Average Pump Speed (RPM):||2950||1740||1670||1750|
|Average Motor Input Power (kW):||31.8||17.9||16.6||17.4|
|Total Energy Consumed / Day (kWh):||764.7||431.1||398.7||418.6|
|Estimated Energy Consumed / Annum (kWh):||273,528||154,188||142,603||149,725|